Thursday, June 26, 2008

Gate with Yellow Iris

SOLD

This 11x14 inch oil on stretched canvas is reflective of common scenes from home (yes I am still homesick). Massive adobe walls covered with wonderful stucco provide the framework for massive wooden gates. Weathered by time and the elements, the gates have so much personality. I have to confess and say that this particular gate is taken from a photograph I took of the old church in Truchas, NM.

Anyone who has ever been to New Mexico will understand that the adobe wall longs for the companionship of a hollyhock. And irises, well they are the true symbol of endurance in the rough dry landscape.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great perspective on this one:)

Cara said...

Thanks Lilli -

rob ijbema said...

lovely cara,great depth and feeling.
isn't it symbolic,considering past events,that the gate is open but the eye is prevented from going thru?

Cara said...

Rob - I hadn't thought of that - WOW! To use a phrase from my youth, "That's really heavy." I'm going to have to think about that... Thanks for visiting and thanks for the insight -

BoneDaddy said...

Nice work on your shadows--you also always seem to do well with the stucco textures.

Cara said...

Thanks Doug - stucco and clouds - seems to be my lot in life. Ha!

sandy said...

ohhh gorgeous colors and well, ....I LOVE it.

Cara said...

Thanks Sandy -

Ron Morrison said...

Looks good, Cara!

Cara said...

Thanks Ron -