Sunday, January 10, 2010

Neat photo and inspiration for future painting

This morning I decided to venture out into the snow and head over to the park to get some winter reference photos. I happen to see this group of trees and shot the photo from inside my car - through the passenger side window. Just a quick shot to get started, nothing special...

When I got home and downloaded it to my computer I decided to play with it a little.
My computer has a neat photo program with special effects and this is what I ended up with. I love this - love love love this - I saw no potential at all in the original photo - nothing inspiring - but now....

I realized that I'm too immature as an artist to see the potential in a scene - I think I'll be using this photo program to help me isolate shapes and colors instead of choking myself with details.
Look for this picture to end up in oil very soon.

6 comments:

Gerald Schwartz said...

Absolutely... We "You" must use all that is at your disposal.. It is the artist that can see the potential then make it there own....
I got to get another soapbox..:}

Cara said...

Thanks Gerald - I appreciate your encouragment and advice.

Marian Fortunati said...

I haven't visited in a while and was delighted to see this photo and how you altered it to provide inspiration... LOVE it!!

Hope you are well and glad I visited again... Don't know why I've been away!

Cara said...

Thanks Marian - As a matter of fact I am working on this painting today. So far it is coming along very well - might end up being my favorite.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Cara, that is one of the BEST ways to get a composition out of your photo since lots of photos that 'feel' great when you take them, end up having a 'sp what?' factor when you view them. Another tool is called dithering which separates the values.
You GO GIRL!

Cara said...

Thanks Mary - you're right - I'll be using this a lot now that my "light bulb" has turned on.
Thanks for visiting.